Saturday 21 April 2012

A message in the hourglass

"If it were not for the last minute, nothing would get done." So says my good friend, the oft-quoted Anon.

Thinking along the same lines, Mark Twain once said, "If you have to eat a frog, don’t look at it for too long.”

I know what they meant. I hate cleaning toilets and showers, and would happily sit at the computer, actively ignoring the niggle in the forefront of my conscience that I SHOULD be doing my chores.

Happy, that is, until I am challenged: Just what have I been doing all afternoon...?

Jesus once described a man like me. It was in the middle of a discourse concerning the Kingdom of Heaven.
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven."
He continues.... (my paraphrase)
If you hear my sayings and do them, you are like a wise man who built his house on a rock, and when there was a massive storm, the house got through it okay. Kingdom of Heaven? Rock On!
But, if you hear my sayings and don't do them, you are like a foolish man who built his house on the sand, and when there was a massive storm, the house crashed down around his ears! Kingdom of Heaven? Forget It!
The question I have to answer is, which of "my sayings" - of which there were many recorded - would He specifically want me to hear and do? What is the "will of My Father" for me?

And, how many more (last) minutes will I get until the sand runs out?

Perhaps I should start listening to my conscience....

No comments:

Post a Comment